google-site-verification=XoQFkgtpf_zW_T1OTs_rvJaUlIyNe9zuoT2h52I8Q7s Browns tried to trade for Alex Smith, source says - Friends Of Dentistry Forums

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Browns tried to trade for Alex Smith, source says

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browns tried to trade for Alex Smith, source says

It also means that Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins will be available when free agency begins in March. Teams can begin negotiating with other teams' free agents on March 12,Authentic O. J. Howard Jersey, and sign them on March 14.

A three-time Pro Bowler, Smith was a target for new Browns GM John Dorsey, who had traded for Smith when he became GM of the Chiefs in 2013.

But the writing was on the wall earlier in the day. During an interview Tuesday on The Dan Patrick Show from the Super Bowl in Minneapolis,Womens Justin Evans Jersey, the 14th-year pro seemed to scoff at the notion of being traded to Cleveland.

"I haven't even thought about that," Smith said with a laugh. "They've got nowhere to go but up. 1-31 over the last 2 years just sounds amazing."

Of course, Smith -- who had a year left on his Chiefs deal at $17 million including bonuses -- didn't have full control over where he landed, but likely had some input.

The Chiefs will receive a 2018 third-round pick and cornerback Kendall Fuller on Wednesday,Womens DeSean Jackson Jersey, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. Dorsey offered his former team one of the Browns two second-round picks, but the Browns didn't want to make the financial commitment the Redskins did because they have the No. 1 overall and are likely to draft a quarterback.

The Redskins will sign Smith to a four-year extension worth $94 million, including $71 million guaranteed.

The Browns have four picks in the first 35, and had plenty of ammunition to pull off a trade, but they are fighting the stigma of 0-16 and 1-31 over the past two seasons. Their picks in the second round are attractive -- No. 33 and No. 35.

"I wish I knew ,'' Smith told Patrick in the afternoon. "Listen, I've got a year under contract there in Kansas City. I wish I was in control of this thing. I wish I was the one that got to be able to do this. That's just not the reality.''

Goodell’s reasoning is simple. While Cleveland owner Paul Dolan was open to MLB commissioner Rob Manfred’s belief that Chief Wahoo was “no longer appropriate,” Washington team owner Dan Snyder has remained consistent in his refusal to acknowledge the team’s logo and name is offensive. Changing the name is a complete non-starter.

“I don’t see him changing that perspective, the Redskins’ logo or the Redskins’ name,” Goodell said on ESPN. “Dan Snyder has really worked in the Native American community to understand better their perspective and I think it’s reflected mostly in a Washington Post poll that came out in the last year that said over nine out of 10 Native Americans do not take that in a negative fashion, and they support it.”

While we can go round and round about who has the right to be offended — and you know the comments section here will certainly light up with an opinion or 4,000 — nothing is going to change unless the two men with the most say in the matter want it to change.

The issue is the combination of all of these aspects — and the reality that this trade was not about pragmatism, Authentic DeSean Jackson Jersey, but emotion. Like the rest of us, the Redskins were clearly over the year-to-year contract uncertainty with Cousins. A scenario they largely created by not coming to terms on a long-term deal circa 2015; a scenario Team Cousins helped foster by stonewalling all recent talks.

This deal was not from a position of strength but from weakness caused by pride. The Redskins had no interest in feeling that slight sting Marcellus Wallace mentioned, not even for a few weeks. Neither did Butch.Womens Mike Evans Jersey, He reneged on the arrangement and won the fight. In the battle with Cousins, the Redskins most definitely did not. This trade was about making that reality less obvious. Thinking they did is pure fiction.

The Cleveland Indians will stop using the Chief Wahoo logo on their uniforms beginning in 2019,Womens Chris Godwin Jersey, according to Major League Baseball, which said the popular symbol was no longer appropriate for use on the field.

The logo has long been the source of anguish and frustration for those who consider it offensive, like the Washington Redskins in the N.F.L., outdated and racist,Authentic Justin Evans Jersey,but for many of the team’s fans it is a cherished insignia — a divide that has played out at all levels of sports in recent years with teams featuring such nicknames and insignias. Most universities have stopped using Native American nicknames, while other teams, have resisted growing pressure to do so.

Chief Wahoo,Authentic Kendell Beckwith Jersey, Cleveland’s chairman and chief executive, a cartoonish caricature of a Native American that has assumed several forms over the years, first appeared on the Indians’ uniforms in 1948. In recent decades various groups across North America have appealed to the team to renounce the logo, to no avail. But over the past year the commissioner of baseball, has pressured Paul Dolan, Rob Manfred, to make a change.

Citing a goal of diversity and inclusion, Manfred said in a statement provided to The New York Times that the Indians organization “ultimately agreed with my position that the logo is no longer appropriate for on-field use in Major League Baseball, and I appreciate Mr. Dolan’s acknowledgment that removing it from the on-field uniform by the start of the 2019 season is the right course.”

Phillip Yenyo, the executive director of the American Indian Movement of Ohio, cheered the decision as “another step in the right direction” but lamented that the move was being put off for a year.

Yenyo also called on the Atlanta Braves to change their name.

the team’s stadium. Consumers will still be able to purchase items with the logo on them at the team’s souvenir shops in the stadium and at retail outlets in the northern Ohio market,Cleveland has been edging away from the logo in recent years and has used it less frequently, but beginning in 2019 it will not be seen at all on the team’s uniforms,Authentic Chris Godwin Jersey, or on banners and signs at Progressive Field, but those items will not be available for sale on M.L.B.’s website.

“We have consistently maintained that we are cognizant and sensitive to both sides of the discussion,” Dolan said in a statement issued by M.L.B. “While we recognize many of our fans have a longstanding attachment to Chief Wahoo, Womens Kendell Beckwith Jersey,I’m ultimately in agreement with Commissioner Manfred’s desire to remove the logo from our uniforms in 2019.”

Discussions about ending the use of the logo did not include deliberations over changing the name of the franchise, once known as the Fighting Sioux, though opponents have also sought that over the years. Many schools and universities have changed their nicknames away from representations of American Indians. The St. John’s University Redmen, for example, became the Red Storm in 1994, and teams at the University of North Dakota, have been the Fighting Hawks since 2015. But many teams still cling to the old names and likenesses despite pressure to eliminate them.

While getting rid of Chief Wahoo will be applauded by opponents, some may see it as only the first step toward the ultimate goal of changing the team name.

Protests against the team names, have also drawn criticism, logos and mascots have flared occasionally over the past few decades. The Redskins are seen by many as having one of the most egregiously insensitive nicknames, though the team and the N.F.L. have expressed little interest in changing it. The Braves, Authentic Mike Evans Jersey,of Major League Baseball, especially for the so-called tomahawk chant performed by fans at games.

In 2014, said the grinning caricature made him uncomfortable. But Chief Wahoo was still used by Cleveland, under Mark Shapiro, the team president at the time, the Indians reduced the use of the Chief Wahoo logo and introduced a block C as their primary insignia. Shapiro,Womens O. J. Howard Jersey, who is now the Toronto Blue Jays’ president, including during high-profile games in the postseason.
Working...
X