google-site-verification=XoQFkgtpf_zW_T1OTs_rvJaUlIyNe9zuoT2h52I8Q7s Matt Nagy takes blame for Chiefs' offensive 'failure' in loss to Titans - Friends Of Dentistry Forums

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt Nagy takes blame for Chiefs' offensive 'failure' in loss to Titans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Nagy takes blame for Chiefs' offensive 'failure' in loss to Titans

"There are scenarios when I wish I would have made some different choices with the playcall," Nagy said Tuesday as he was introduced as the new head coach in Chicago.

that was a failure in my book. ... I felt terrible for our team,Womens Frank Clark Jersey,"For me, for our organization. We put in a lot of good work."

Nagy served as the Chiefs' offensive coordinator until taking the Bears' job Monday.

after scoring 21 points in the first half,The Chiefs, were shut out afterward and wound up losing 22-21 in the wild-card round. The Chiefs had three first downs and 61 yards in the second half.

When asked after the game who called the offensive plays, Chiefs coach Andy Reid took the blame.

the NFL's leading rusher during the regular season,Running back Kareem Hunt, had just five carries in the second half. The Chiefs led until the Titans took the lead with six minutes remaining.

Tight end Travis Kelce, left for good late in the first half because of a concussion. The Chiefs struggled without him, who was having a big game, but Nagy assumed the blame.

Nagy said he would call the offensive plays for the Bears. He indicated he would improve as a playcaller because of his failure in the second half against the Titans.

" Nagy said. "I'll grow from it,"That's a learning situation for me, and I'll learn from it. I promise you that. I'll use that as a strength here for me with the Chicago Bears."

Bears general manager Ryan Pace said he had "mixed emotions" while watching Nagy's playcalling in the second half.

Pace said. "He owned it. 'Hey,"But one of the things I love about Matt is his humility and willingness to come in and talk about that moment like he did" at the news conference, this is what happened, guys, this is what I learned from that moment, I was calling the plays, and this is what I'm going to do better going forward.' I think that says a lot about him as a person."

teammates saw a swagger in Mariota as he got off the ground and stared down a defender to make them confident their quarterback is feeling good,Mariota ran a career-high 10 times for a season-high 60 yards in Sunday’s win over the Jaguars to help the Titans earn their first playoff berth since 2008. Better yet,Womens Jarran Reed Jersey, possibly even as he did before a broken right leg ended his 2016 season a game early.

before the injury,Womens C.J. Prosise Jersey,“That’s old Marcus,Authentic Frank Clark Jerseyy,” Pro Bowl defensive lineman Jurrell Casey. “That’s him. This is the Marcus I been waiting to see – him using them legs and making things happen. We need to see that more out of him going forward.”

Titans coach Mike Mularkey loved Mariota’s body language, and now the Titans (9-7) need their quarterback – who won the 2014 Heisman Trophy at Oregon – to keep running Saturday when they visit Kansas City (10-6) for an AFC wild-card game.

“We’re at that point right now when every man needs to do whatever he can, to make this thing go,Authentic Lavonte David Jersey,” Mularkey said. “It was good to see what he did the other night. Obviously, whatever it takes, it helped us win the football game. I think it helped him gain a little confidence too that he can do more.”

Chiefs coach Andy Reid has seen enough of Mariota after the quarterback led a game-winning drive late last season to know they have to be careful when he starts running.

“You don’t ever get tricked by that kind of speed that he has, he can go,” Reid said. “When he kicks that thing into overdrive,Authentic Mike Evans Jersey,Authentic Rees Odhiambo Jersey, so you have to stay very disciplined with him. That will be one of the challenges for my defense.”

Gruden didn't entirely throw Jack Del Rio or Todd Downing under the bus for the ex-coach's ill-advised switch from Bill Musgrave to Downing last offseason, or Downing's failure to build a competent scheme for Derek Carr.

But Gruden did stress the critical need to establish continuity for Carr and challenge him more, likely designing an offense that stretches the field and suits Amari Cooper's electricity. "It's up to us... to come up with an offense that allows him to soar to another level." Gruden confirmed he'll be the play caller of said offense.

Paul Guenther (defense) and Rich Bisaccia (special teams) — an impressive group helping ensure a "system of football that we run will be a real natural flow." Gruden highlighted Olson's rapport with Carr from 2013,Gruden confirmed all three of his coordinator hires — Greg Olson (offense), a "versatile" coach and "leader of men" who was on Gruden's Super Bowl-winning staff in Tampa., who worked alongside the other Gruden in Cincinnati, and his "up the field, when the quarterback was a second-round rookie and Olson was in his second of two seasons as Raiders coordinator. Gruden also raved about Guenther, get after you" 'D, single gap,' likely to be more aggressive than the one that underachieved under Del Rio. And Bisaccia

After being asked about "20 years away" from coaching, "I'm not that old,Womens Lavonte David Jersey," and obviously, "I haven't won a game since 2008. But I haven't lost one either." It's long enough that practice restrictions and rules have changed dramatically under the new CBA and in response to enhanced player safety awareness. But Gruden said his broadcast career allowed him to see how and where other team's practice and how schemes are evolving. That was a "unique and beneficial opportunity, Gruden politely pointed out," and he said it helped shape his bigger-picture outlook since he last roamed the sidelines.

with whom the new coach spent a year working alongside in Green Bay under Ron Wolf,Gruden and holdover GM Reggie McKenzie, he said. Disagreements are not only imminent but encouraged. This sounds good and all, will collaborate on every personnel decision, Womens Rees Odhiambo Jersey, but rest assured the final say on solving those disagreements will come from Gruden. Even so, and it wasn't made clear Tuesday, we could envision things staying harmonious due to the familiarity that exists on Day One.

not in the move to Vegas. Indeed,Gruden will have plenty of say in personnel, goal-oriented coach.", who may have been kept around with the Rams as long as he was namely to usher the move to L.A., unlike Jeff Fisher, at least initially, Gruden,Authentic C.J. Prosise Jersey, won't worry about the relocation of the Raiders to Las Vegas in 2020. "I'll let Mark [Davis] talk about that. I'm a real short-term

Gruden confirmed he didn't get ownership stake in the Raiders,Womens Nick Vannett Jersey, he preferred to discuss his "loyalty, as ESPN initially reported could be part of his record compensation package from Mark Davis. And although he had $100 million other reasons to return to Oakland," "responsibility" and the "unfinished business" he has there.

He acknowledged the "target on his back" that accompanies his high-profile return, but Gruden said being Al Davis' 34-year-old head coach taught him how to handle pressure. He also said he isn't guaranteed to be alive for 10 years,Authentic Nick Vannett Jersey,never mind still coaching, and "how long he stays will be determined by how well we play."

What won't determine the length of Gruden's Raiders tenure is another trade. Charles Woodson, one of myriad former Raiders on hand Tuesday, asked Gruden if this contract has a no trade clause.
Working...
X